How To Measure For Inside Mount Blinds And Shades
When you’re measuring for inside mount blinds, accuracy is key. Fortunately, you can get measurements in three simple steps:
- Measure the inside of the window frame in three places for width: across the top, middle and bottom. This is because not all windows are built perfectly. Measure the narrowest width of the three measurements.
- Measure for height: at the left, middle and right side. Document the longest length of the three measurements.
- Measure the depth of the window so you know how deep the blinds can be.
- Don’t round down when learning how to measure windows for blinds. Our factory will take the necessary steps to make sure your blinds or shades fit perfectly in your window and will operate correctly.
- Double check the “mounting requirements” section of your chosen product to ensure that your window has enough depth to accommodate an inside mount. If it doesn’t, choose an outside mount or switch to another product.
- Remember to measure in multiple places across the window width and height. For specific instructions on where and how many times to measure, see your product’s specific measuring guide.
Solar Shades What Are They
Solar Shades are the perfect solution for controlling direct sunlight, especially in large windows. Solar Shades are built like a traditional roller shade, so they are well suited for wide windows, as they are available in widths up to 120. They also roll up tightly, only using 4.5 of the windows opening when fully retracted.
The difference between traditional roller shades and Solar Shades is the material they are made of. Solar Shades are specially designed with a sun resistant woven fabric, which among other properties, blocks UV light. Since the UV spectrum is responsible for heat and doing damage to your room, Solar Shades can be the perfect solution for anyone looking to control the sun, but still allow ambient light into their space. Solar Shades are extremely popular in schools, office spaces, and living areas.
Measuring For Outside Mount Installations
Step 1: Measure the full width of the area you wish to cover with your exterior solar shades. If space allows on your walls, add an extra 1 to 1 ½ to each side of your measurement to reduce the amount of light leakage from the sides of the shade. Use this measurement plus any additions when you place your order with Blindster.
Step 2: Measure the full height of the area you wish to cover with your exterior solar shades. When measuring, include the height of the flat surface mounting area necessary for the brackets in your final dimensions. Note that the factory will make your shade, including the roller or cassette valance if ordered, to the height you specify. Also note that 3 to 4 of height should be added to your order if you want to mount your shade above your window frame and cover any molding or framework.
Note: When the factory makes your exterior solar shades, note that the shade material will be 1 to ½ narrower than the measurement you provided to allow room for brackets. If you need your shade to fit a specific measurement or width, add 1 to ½ to your ordered width to get the correct width.
Instructions For Outside Mounted Solar Shades
Choose an outside mount only if you want the solar shade to cover the entire opening of the window and the window frame. All the necessary deductions will be made by us. Do not make your own deductions to offset ours. Do not add to the width to make up for any deductions. Keep in mind that an outside mount is better for more light coverage.
Flat surface requirements
- To find the products specific mounting requirements, read the information contained in the Product Info tab on whatever product youre ordering.
Measuring the width
- The width of the window needs to be exact. Start with measuring from the top of the window opening.
- Youll use that measurement and add the recommended minimum of 4 inches. This will ensure the window is properly covered.
- You now have the correct width to use when ordering your solar shades.
Measuring the height
- The height of the window needs to be exact. Start with measuring at the left, the middle, and finish up by measuring the right side of the window opening. Youll use the largest of the three measurements and add the recommended minimum of 4 inches. This will ensure the window is properly covered.
- You now have the right height to use when ordering your solar shades.
How To Measure For Outside Mount Blinds And Shades
When you’re measuring for outside mount blinds, allow for enough wall space to accommodate the mount. Heres how to get accurate measurements:
- Measure the overall area to be covered. Measure both the width of the window and the height of the window.
- Consider adding an extra 3 inches to the width and height for optimum light control and privacy. Extending the blinds outside the window will also provide the space needed for the mounts and help the window appear larger than it actually is.
- Our factory will make your blind or shade to the exact measurements you provide. Be sure to allow extra space for the head rail and mounting brackets, which can be up to 2 1/2-inches tall. If you want increased light blockage and privacy, add a few extra inches outside of the window space.
- Make allowances for obstructions like doorknobs, deadbolts or moulding that might get in the way. If you have obstructions, spacer blocks or extension brackets are available to help your blind or shade extend far enough to avoid protrusions.
- Outside mounts require at least 2 inches of flat surface above the window or frame for mounting brackets. You may need projection brackets to clear the frame moulding.
Recommended Reading: Does California Require Solar Panels On New Homes
Designer Quality Custom Blinds And Shades
Whats your style? Contemporary minimalist? Modern millennial? Classic coastal? Trendy traditional? We have you covered! At SelectBlinds.com, youll find the perfect coverings for your windows and the designer blind stores look — without the designer price!
Buying blinds online at SelectBlinds.com is easy, convenient, and saves you time and money. No high-pressure sales. No time-consuming appointments. No waiting for weeks or months for your custom blinds and shades. Just friendly, knowledgeable window design experts dedicated to helping you select the right wood blinds, faux wood blinds, shutters, cellular shades, bamboo/woven woods, whatever window covering you want. With hundreds of styles, fabrics, patterns and colors to choose from, youll wish you had more windows to decorate!
You can even try before you buy online! Well send you up to 15 free samples at a time. And when youre ready to buy your custom-made blinds and shades, we deliver them to you for free, too! Whether you live here with us in Arizona, or youre in Texas, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, or Washington, we deliver for free anywhere in the entire contiguous United States. Some restrictions apply.
Step : Determine Inside Or Outside Mount
Before taking any measurements, step back from your window and decide if you want to mount the window treatment inside the window recess, or outside on the wall or molding.
We usually recommend an inside mount when possible because it provides a finished, built-in look without covering the window molding. You will need 5 minimum of unobstructed depth, including locks, handles, etc.
Outside mounted shades are mounted on your wall or molding and requires at least 5 of flat surface above your window for mounting brackets. They are often used to make a window appear larger, to hide a less-thanattractive window, when windows arent square, or when there is not sufficient frame depth for inside mounting. The recommended overlap for an outside mount roller shade is 2 top, 1-1/2 bottom and 1-1/2 on each side.
We will custom make your blinds to the sizes you specify.
Recommended Reading: How Much Value Does Solar Add
How Much Are Solar Shades
Obviously, like all window coverings, there is a huge price range. For ease of comparison, we will discuss custom made solar screens from major window covering manufacturers. You can expect these products to be custom built to your window measurements, include a warranty, and be made of high quality materials. These shades also will include a choice of control and valance options, for a truly custom look.
If we consider a standard 36 wide X 36 high window, you should expect to spend between $105 $185 for the shade from an on-line retailer. If you want the shade installed by a local window covering expert, the cost could range from $215 $300.
How To Measure For Solar Shades
Solar shades are perfect for rooms where you want to preserve the view of the outdoors and natural light from your windows while also maintaining your privacy and reducing the effect of the suns rays.
If youre considering purchasing solar shades from Blindster, its important that you first know the exact measurements of the window or door where they will be installed. Without precise measurements, you may find that your shades are too long or too short or simply dont fit.
How To Measure For Each Mounting Option:
Please note the fabric for the roller sun solar shades will be 1¼ narrower than your ordering width. This is to allow for the brackets. If the light gap is a concern, we recommend going with an outside mount.
Please note the fabric will be 1 1/4 narrower than the measurement you provide to allow for the brackets. If you need the fabric to cover a specific width, please add at least 1 1/4 to your measurements. If you would like to receive a free quote, please fill out our form on the right.
Common Tags: window shades
We serve the Denver Metro area.
How To Measure & Install Using 3m Dual Lock
Be sure you have at least 5/8 of flat, smooth window frame surrounding all four sides of the window.
Width – Measure the window frame from the left outside edge to the right outside edge. Subtract for clearance. Record this number as the width.
Height – Measure the window frame from the top outside edge to the bottom outside edge. Subtract for clearance. Record this number as the height.
Go to SolarScreenOutlet.com and order the size and quantity of screens you need.
Assemble the screen according to the instructions above.
Thoroughly clean and dry the window frame to ensure proper adhesion of the 3M Dual Lock Pads.
Remove backing from one side of the 3M Dual Lock pair and attach to one corner of the back side of the solar screen frame.
Repeat for all 4 corners and for any additional locations you want to add the 3M Dual Lock.
Remove the backing from the 3M Dual Lock pairs that are now attached to the solar screen frame.
Attach the screen to the window frame and be sure to push and hold for 15 seconds on each location where the 3M Dual Lock pads are attached.
Also Check: How To Set Up Solar Panels For Your Home
Determine Inside Or Outside Mount
Inside mount solar shades will hang entirely within the window frame
- We recommend inside mount whenever possible
- Neat, streamlined look
- Usually best for energy efficiency
Outside mount solar shades will hang outside your window opening, overlapping the edges
- We recommend outside mount for out-of-square windows, and for windows with minimal mounting depth or obstructions within the frame
- Minimizes light gaps, giving you better light control and privacy
How To Measure Outside Mount Blinds & Shades
Step 1: Measure Width
Measure horizontally to the nearest 1/8 inch between the outer-most points where you want your window treatments placed. For optimal light control, it’s recommended to overlap each side of the window frame by at least an additional 3/4 inch.
Step 2: Measure Height
Measure vertically to the nearest 1/8 inch from the top of where you want the window treatment to be installed to the top of the window sill, or measure to point of desired length if there is no sill.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Go Solar In California
Things To Consider When Measuring
Keep these important considerations in mind when measuring to fit shades to your windows:
- A steel tape measureis much more accurate than a cloth measuring tape.
- Exact measurements are essential, especially in the case of outside mount blinds. Measure to the nearest 1/8-inchdon’t round to a half or whole inch.
- Record your measurements accuratelydouble-check after you write them down or enter them on your phone to ensure theyre correct and legible. Always put your width measurement first and height last .
Tip: If measurements reveal that your windows are uneven, dont worrythis is fairly typical. However, if your measurements seem significantly out of square, it might be best to choose an outside mount, which helps hide uneven windows.
Before Measuring Choose Between Inside & Outside Mount
Clean, integrated look and the most popular choice. Window frame must accommodate the Required Minimum Depth for your desired window treatment. A common measuring mistake is not considering the depth needed when choosing Inside Mount. Depth determines which window treatment your window can accommodate with Inside Mount and how it will look when installed. To understand more about depth, see our blog.
Makes windows appear larger and provides superior light control. .
Read Also: Do Solar Attic Fans Work At Night
How To Measure: Roller Shades
- Writing tool and paper.
- A measuring tape in inches with a minimum 1/8″ increment.
First you will need to decide if you want the shades to be inside or outside mount. An inside mount will go within a recess or framework and will highlight an attractive molding or window. Outside mounts will hang outside the opening of a recess, either on the frame or above and beyond the frame. If you outside mount, you can make a window appear larger or hide an unattractive window.
|Inside Mount||Outside Mount|
If you are mounting your blinds directly to the frame of the window measure the exact width and height of the wood frame itself, from outer edge to outer edge. Or, for maximum privacy and light control, go above and beyond the window frame. We recommend adding between 3 to 6 to your width measurement. Also, add 2 to your height measurement to allow enough room for the mounting brackets above the opening.
When mounting inside of a window, there must be enough depth to accommodate the mounting brackets. To view the specific depth requirements of your product, on the product page click the tab in the lower part of the screen that says ‘Details’
Do not make any deductions or additions to those measurements as our factory will do this for you. Roller shades have very specific deductions made. Remember roller shades are like toilet paper rolls where your fabric is going to be less wide than the tips of the roll
Layering Roller Shades With Other Window Treatments
Roller shades are the perfect window treatment to layer underneath others due to their slim profile and affordable price. Roller shades can provide a blackout lining for more privacy and light control or offer a partly translucent light filtering layer to go beneath dark, heavy curtains.
If you are considering layering your window treatments, we highly recommend you consider inside mounting roller shades beneath a different window treatment. Because of their versatile, simple design, roller shades go great with many different styles of window treatments, including roman shades, roman shades, curtains, valances, window swags and more. Check out our guide that explains how to layer blinds with curtains for more inspiration.
You May Like: How To Get Solar Rebate
Measuring For An Inside Mount
To measure the width for an inside-mount roller blind:
- Measure the inside width of your window at the top, middle and bottom.
- Round down to the nearest 1/8-inch and write down each measurement.
- Circle the narrowest width. This will be the width that you order.
To measure the height:
- Measure from the top inside edge of your window to the windowsill. Measure this height on the left and right sides and the middle of the window.
- Write down each measurement as it reads on the tape measuredont round them down.
- Circle the tallest measurement. This is the height you will order.
Tip: The factory will make the necessary standard adjustments for your product to fit perfectly into the window frame.
How To Measure For Exterior Solar Shades
Exterior solar shades are the ideal window treatments for outdoor spaces such as sunrooms, decks, porches, garages, workshops, and other areas where you need high visibility of the outdoors.
If youre thinking about purchasing exterior solar shades from Blindster, its important that you provide us with the most accurate measurements possible. To get the right dimensions for your order, you must first accurately measure either the inside of your window frame or the area you wish to cover with the shade itself.
You May Like: How Much Does Solar Power Cost