Where To Use Stain: Fences
Semitransparent stains emphasize a fence’s design, while clear toners show off its wood grain. Apply either type with a pump sprayer, the ideal tool for coating the long runs and numerous nooks and crannies of a fence. Wolman DuraStain Semi-Transparent in Chestnut Brown, similar to shown wolman.com
Solid Color Wood Stains
BEHR solid color wood stains create a durable film that resists cracking and peeling. Available in more than 1,600 custom and computer-matched colors, these solid color stains also work well on stucco, brick and cement siding.
This 100% acrylic formula seals out the elements, and the sun’s harmful UV rays, for up to 10 yrs. on decks and up to 25 yrs. on fences and siding.
Whether you’re looking to make a simple color change, complement existing color or hide blemishes on aging wood, protect and beautify with BEHR’s Solid Color Waterproofing Wood Stain.
This exterior formula creates a durable film that resists cracking and peeling on your home’s vertical surfaces.
Best For Brick: Soto Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Color
The Soto Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Colors material feels more premium than its price would suggest. The Soto benjaminmoore exteriorsolid stain color is highly recommend, It is suitable for the long term and has a nice design. Allow paint to dry for at least one hour for normal wear or before additional coats. This water based paint has ultra low odor and extremely low emissions, which means healthier indoor air quality.
The color looks new, dries very quickly, it is ideal for metal surfaces and has a new design. And, the color is a design and engineering house developing thoughtfully-designed products in the home improvement industry. Lastly, the Soto benjaminmoore exterior solid staincolor is used for small amount, is horrible, It is inexpensive and has a unique design.
Most customers opine that the color is a purer white than the fridge, so not too good. Further, a few strongly agree that the color is a very shiney finish when dry. Also, they say that the surest solution is to order a color chart so you can make your own determination of the match. With no doubts, this color passed the test and had very satisfied buyers eager to share their experience.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This makes for great company and it is perfect for dark grey.
- This is perfect for the 1985 white American standard tub.
- This has held up without coming off.
- This matches appliances and it is also not self leveling.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Solar Paint
Defy Solid Color Wood Stain
- Toughness and durability of zinc nanoparticle technology.
- 7 pre-mixed grab and go colors.
- Protects wood from UV rays.
- Can be used on both horizontal and vertical wood surfaces.
- Easy soap and water clean-up.
DEFY Solid Color Wood Stain is a durable acrylic, opaque wood finish that protects against the damaging effects of the elements, on all wood surfaces. This water-based product provides a beautiful matte finish, fortified with transparent zinc nanoparticles. These zinc nanoparticles are like sunscreen for your wood. They provide extreme protection by blocking out the sun’s harmful UV rays, as well as resisting stains caused by mold and mildew.
DEFY Solid Color Wood Stain can be used all wood types including pressure treated lumber, pine, cedar, redwood, mahogany, Ipe and all other natural wood surfaces. Product can be used on interior, exterior, horizontal, and vertical wood surfaces including decks, fences, wood siding, log homes, and outdoor furniture.
Warning: This product can expose you to Benzophenone, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Methanol, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
Stain Colors & Sizes
Defy Solid Color Wood Stain is available in seven pre-mixed colors, White, Stone Gray, Taupe, Light Walnut, Dark Walnut, Dark Cocoa, and Barn Red. All colors are available in one-gallon plastic wide-mouth jugs.
What Is A Solid Body Stain
Many people have asked us to use a solid body stain on their home instead of a paint. Most homeowners think that a solid body stain is NOT a paint. We just wanted to clarify a few things regarding solid body stains.
A solid body stain is more of a marketing term to describe a certain type of paint that is thinner in the look and feel than ordinary exterior paint. Home Depot along with other hardware chains marketed the products mainly for fences and new wood siding on a home. If a homeowner did not like the look of a thick coat of paint, stores would recommend a “solid body stain.” Theses so called stains would penetrate new wood very well and would leave a solid color with the wood grain still showing. It was a great look if a homeowner liked the natural wood look.
A solid body stain today is really just an acrylic paint that has less additives that typically thicken the paint. It still has a proper amount of resins in the paint to add protection. There is nothing special about it, though there is nothing wrong with it either. It will perform the same and last about the same amount of time. One of the key benefits of using a solid body “stain” is that is tends to resist peeling on new surfaces. Why? Because it soaks into the wood instead of laying on the surface like most paints. A solid body stain applied over an existing solid stain only causes the surface to look a little more thick in texture and cleaner.
Don’t Miss: Does Solar Really Pay For Itself
Solid Deck Stain Considerations
- Once you use a solid stain, its nearly impossible to go back to transparent stain. After applying solid stain to your deck, it will be nearly impossible to go back to the natural appearance of transparent stain. Check out the finishes on your friends and neighbors decks to gauge how you feel about solid and transparent stains before committing to solid.
- Hides natural grains of the wood. Often, the beauty of decks is their natural wood characteristics. When solid stain is used on a deck, the stain will completely cover the wood grain.
- Will crack, peel, and blister. While solid stain can resist fading from the sun, it wont resist eventual cracking, peeling, or blistering. This is especially true if the wood is often wet or in direct sunlight. No matter how good the solid stain or the painter, solid stain will eventually peel and need recoated.
What Are Differences Between Solid Stain And Paint
Paint is more expensive and is more time consuming to apply on a surface. One should also apply paint over a primed surface in order to get the best result. If applied professionally, paints are likely to provide color uniformity and offer various degrees of sheens. Paint also provides a broader color range.
On the other hand, solid stain can be easily applied and recoated. With solid stain, you need minimum or no surface preparation and primers are not always required. Hence, solid stain is less time consuming to apply on a surface. Stains are also a cost-effective choice and they require very low maintenance cost. Solid stains are able to resist cracking, peeling, and blistering if applied according to the manufacturers instruction.
Also Check: How To Implement Solar Energy At Home
Solid Color Stain Vs Traditional Paint
Solid color stain looks like paint, but soaks into wood instead of sitting on top of it. As it ages, stain breaks down by fading rather than peeling. Older layers of solid color stain tend to look better than paint does over time. Talk to our residential painting experts at Five Star Painting about your options and discover if solid color stain is the right option for you!
Solid stain provides a flat finish, which showcases wood grain. If there are a number of imperfections in the wood, the stain would highlight those as well. Though it doesnt have quite the same longevity as paint, solid color stain is much easier to prepare and apply. Our contractors wont be required to scrape and prime, as would be necessary with painting.
Do You Wipe Off Solid Stain
The basic rule for getting good results with any stain is to apply a wet coat and wipe off the excess before it dries. You can use any tool rag, brush, paint pad, roller or spray gun to apply the stain. Its only important that you wipe off all the excess before the stain dries. Blotching caused by fast drying.
Read Also: What Solid Foods To Feed 6 Month Old
Best For Patio: Inslx Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Color
Inslx is known for creating pragmatic and minimalist colors for people on the go, and its line of Inslx Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Color definitely falls in line with that reputation. And, the inslx benjaminmoore exterior solid stain color is ideal for stairs, walkways, patios, and more. Make sure this fits by entering your model number. And, this is confident, is great for a great price and it is tough. Finally, the inslx benjaminmoore exterior solidstain color is available in 5 colors: white, saddle brown, tile red etc.,.
Most customers opine that the color is best paint for concrete/ brick. Further, a few strongly agree that the color is coated with a metal primer before applying sure step. And, a few also found that the color is a good choice for pool decks. In conclusion, most customers found the color suits best, and no one questions it.
Top Customer Quotes:
- This is used to the last drop.
- On exterior applications, do not apply when rain is threatening. Not for immersion services.
- This is quite durable and it is designed for prep work.
- This is effective, comes with light blue and it is best for high gloss.
Clear Stains And Sealers
This is the most basic option available. Clear stains will protect the wood beneath from water damage while allowing the natural beauty of the wood grain to show through.
Unfortunately, clear stains wont protect the wood from UV damage from the sun.
They have a simple application process but need to be reapplied frequently since the wood becomes gray and worn from the sun.
Recommended Reading: When Can I Introduce Solid Food To My Baby
Differences Between Acid Stains Water
Acid Stains: Most acid stains are a mixture of water, hydrochloric acid, and acid-soluble metallic salts. They work by chemically reacting with calcium hydroxide after penetrating the surface. The acid in the stain lightly etches the surface, allowing the metallic salts to penetrate more easily. Once the stain reacts, it becomes a permanent part of the concrete and wont fade, chip off, or peel away. Acid stains leave a mottled surface appearance. They are available in select earth tone colors but can be mixed for additional color options.
Water-Based Stains: A new-generation of stain which blend pigments and acrylic polymers to penetrate concrete producing a translucent color. The main difference between water-based stains and acid stains is that no chemical reaction occurs with water-based stains, so the color is more consistent. Water based stains are available in a large selection of colors in comparison to traditional earth tone colors of acid stains. One of the biggest draws to using a water-based stain in replacement of an acid stain is safety. Water-based stains are low in VOCs and safer to apply because they are free of solvents and acids. Water-based stains are much easier to work with, and do not need to be neutralized after application. Water-based stains can save time and labor while achieving the same look and appearance as an acid stain.
Save Your Favorite Items For Later
Love a color or a product? Found an article with the tips you need? Save it to your account for quick reference later. Create a new account or login using Facebook.
Variance in monitor calibrations can affect the on-screen representations of our actual paint and stain colours. Your local Olympic® Stains retailer can match and/or order the exact colour that you desire with the help of the Olympic Stain colour name or number.
Don’t Miss: Can You Use Pine Sol To Wash A Car
All About Exterior Stain
This Old House decodes the differences between the various types of stain so that you can get the look you want.
Spring heralds the arrival of weather warm enough for us to finally get outside and start undoing the damage winter has wrought on woodwork. Refreshing the finish on decks, fences, and siding tops the to-do list because without renewed protection against Mother Nature, wood will start to decay.
In a one-two punch, sunlight breaks down the lignin that holds wood fibers together, leaving a gray surface that cant hold a finish. Then water gets in, rotting boards and shingles and, worse, potentially compromising the structures that lie beneath them.
You can safeguard wood in one of two ways: either with paint, which seals it under an opaque film, or, perhaps better, with exterior stain. The beauty of stain is that its easy to apply, resistant to peeling, and brings out woods texture or grain. But stain comes in a bewildering number of types. Some are as clear as bourbon others are as milky as paint. Some form a film on top of the wood others leave behind nothing but a hint of surface color.
The Four Major Types Of Stain
Has less pigment than a solid-color stain, so it only partially obscures the wood’s grain. Leaves no surface film can’t peel. Recoat every 2 to 4 years.
Finely ground iron pigments called transoxides block the sun without obscuring the wood’s grain and impart a warm tint. Leaves no surface film can’t peel. Recoat annually.
Looks like a flat paint hides the wood’s grain but not its texture. Forms a film that can peel if not properly applied. Recoat every 5 to 7 years.
Contains enough pigment to change the wood’s color but not enough to obscure its grain. Leaves no surface film can’t peel. Recoat every 2 to 3 years.
Destined to turn gray and rot unless you cover it with stain.
Shown: Cabot solid color, semisolid, and semitransparent in New Redwood Clear Solution Wood Toner in Cedar cabot.com
Read Also: What Are Solar Panels And How Do They Work
Solid Color Stains Are More Durable
Because they form a film on the surface of the wood, solid color stains will normally prove to be significantly more durable and longer lasting than other semi-transparent products. Its this extreme durability that makes them a great choice to consider for the most severe problem areas of the deck such as the rails.
Best For Surface Preparation: Prestige Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Color
If you want nothing but the most convenient color, then Prestige benjaminmoore exterior solid stain color is the one you should definitely consider, as it manages to bring a lot to the table. The Prestige Benjaminmoore Exterior Solid Stain Color makes sure and it has repaired all imperfections. Actual paint colors may vary from on-screen and printer representation. Moreover, the color is used to patch cracks and holes, sand smooth when dry, then primed with this product.
The color is good for scuffing sand glossy surfaces and it is coated with soap residue. Lastly, the prestige Benjaminmoore exterior solid stain color is not associated or affiliated with Benjamin Moore in any way.
Why We Like This:
- This can be cleaned gently with a non-abrasive cleaner after 14 days.
- Low voc: less than 5 g/l prior to tinting.
- This can vary due to sheen, light, surface, and application method.
- Stir or mix paint before using and intermix all containers for color uniformity.
Read Also: Do Sole Proprietors Need A Dba
Solid Deck Stain Benefits
- Wide variety of stain color options. One of the many advantages of solid stain is that it gives homeowners a plethora of color options to choose from. This can be helpful if you want your deck to pop with color, or simply desire to give your deck a more contemporary look. Solid stain can also cover up previous colors which can be an attractive benefit for many homeowners.
- Masks imperfections. If you want to hide small imperfections and blemishes on your deck, solid can be a great option. Because solid is thicker than transparent, it can mask minor damage on wood and fill in any grooves or spots that you want to hide. This can be especially helpful if you have replaced some wood boards and they dont match your original boards completely.
- Can be easy to clean. Solid decks can often be easy to clean. Darker colors are typically easier to clean and maintain, while lighter colors may show more wear and tear. The slick surface of solid stain allows you to easily sweep away dirt and debris.
- Moisture-resistant. Solid stain can provide your deck with a solid coating which can protect the wood from moisture damage from rain, snow, and other precipitation.
- Blocks UV rays. Using latex solid deck stain with UV-blocking pigments can protect your wood deck against inevitable sun-related fading.
- Can sometimes be applied over paint. In some instances, solid stain can be applied to a deck that has been painted.
Transparent Deck Stain Considerations
- Limited colors available. Transparent deck stains are limited to around 60 shades, but solid deck stains will offer over 3,000 choices.
- Choose the right stain for optimal protection. Before deciding on a paint stain, keep in mind that the more pigmented or opaque the stain, the more resistant it will be to seasonal weather changes and moisture. If you like the look of more transparent stains, you will need to re-stain your deck sooner than you would if you went with a more solid stain.
- Cant be applied over painted surfaces. Unfortunately, transparent stain cant be applied on a deck that contains paint unless the paint is professionally stripped off beforehand.
- Cant hide major imperfections without repairing first. If you need to hide some bigger imperfections on your wood deck, stain wont be able to do the job. In fact, it will enhance large chips and cracks instead! If you want to stain your deck, fix wood damage using professional wood repair services before staining.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy Shoe Soles