The Benefits Of A Solar Farm Business In America And Canada
- Solar is one of the fastest-growing renewable energy sources in America and Canada
- Solar energy provides affordable, reliable, and clean energy to more than 2.2 million homes in America and Canada .
- Solar has helped to create thousands of new jobs in America. In fact, the industry has contributed billions of dollars to the US and Canadian economy.
- The industry has grown immensely in the last five years.
- The demand for solar farms is now backed by government incentives. These include ITC or solar investment tax credits, which are responsible for private investment in solar technologies. With such incentives, solar power projects are accelerating, especially in the last five years.
- The technology is not yet cost-competitive.
Undoubtedly, solar power can help in making money for a long time. Here are a few more ways of making money from a solar power business:
Investing In Solar: Seven Ways To Make Money From Solar Farms
Considering Investing in Solar?
While our quest for a clean and green energy source is getting some positive vibes, the renewable energy industry is also open for investment. Just like any other investment, the renewable energy sector requires you to consider the investment horizon and risk tolerance. In fact, you should start with the least risky investments that offer a maximum time horizon.
The economic growth of renewable energy has been outstanding. As time is passing, more and more individuals are investing in this field to get their share. For instance, investing in the solar power sector is a great idea to multiply your money without any serious risk.
Moreover, companies involved in the production of green energy are getting relief from governments such as solar tax credit in the U.S. Also, the prices of solar panels have continually been decreasing and making solar a much more viable option compared to alternatives.
However, there is a significant issue that precludes investors from making their move. This relates to the fact that investors dont have an idea of where to start. There are mixed opinions about how to invest in solar. Some prefer to invest in solar companies, while others want to invest in solar funds.
Apart from these, you can think about some other ways to invest in solar.
Converting Payback To A Simple Roi
Theres one issue with looking at payback period: how do you put a 13-year payback period into context? Is 13 good or not? One way to answer that question is to translate payback period into a simple ROI calculation of cash savings per invested cash. This will allow you to more easily compare it to other investment options. In our example above, if it takes 13 years to pay something back, that means that youre getting 1/13th of your investment back each year, or a 7.7% annual return.
You May Like: How Much Energy From Solar Panels
Solar Is For Everyone You Need Not Have A Big House Or Live In Sunny Areas To Reap The Benefits Of Solar Panels
It is true that there is more energy generated from solar panels in areas that are sunny all year around. Also, if you are living somewhere where power is expensive and is difficult to maintain, solar is likely ideal for your home. But even people who live in homes with shady roofs can now install solar panels because of advancements in technology.
Your Roof Is In Shade Or Blocked By Buildings
Your solar panels need to be exposed to the sun for long periods to be worth the money. Rooftop solar may not be suited for you if your home or businesss roof is surrounded by barriers that limit the quantity of sunshine you receive. However, if you have enough land on your home that receives adequate sunlight, you might want to consider installing a ground-mounted solar system.
You May Like: Will Solar Panels Increase The Value Of My Home
How Do You Invest In A Solar Farm Investment
The easy way to invest in a solar farm, or renewable energy company, is to just buy a stock of a company likeBrookfield Renewable Partners.
Brookfield operates one of the worlds largest renewable power platforms. Weve discussed Brookfield as a company and stock investment in other posts. The purpose of this post is to fill in the gaps and explain how to take advantage of the solar industry yourself by creating your own solar farm, and not to review how to invest in real assets from an investment perspective. You can read this article though: What are Real Assets, and How to Diversify Your Wealth by Investing in Them?
Before we dive into the solar farm business, perhaps you might like to hear Tom Mills discuss his 120 Acre Solar Farm in Camilla, Georgia. He definitely understands nuances of whats involved. This YouTube video is two-minutes long, and is worth the time:
Do You Need To Install A Tesla Powerwall With Tesla Solar Panels
Yes, you have to install a Tesla Powerwall with Tesla solar panels. Tesla now requires all of their solar panel and solar roof systems to be paired with a Powerwall battery.
This can be beneficial if you were already considering battery storage for your solar panel system. However, if you live in an area with full-retail net metering this will just increase your installation costs without providing you with that much more in additional savings.
The savings may play out better in states with battery storage incentives, like in California where the SGIP battery incentive can cover over $2,000 of the total cost of a Powerwall.
Overall, Tesla now requiring their solar systems to be paired with Powerwalls wont make financial sense for most homeowners.
You May Like: How To Connect Solar Panel To House Electricity
Got $1000 The 10 Top Investments Wed Make Right Now
Our team of analysts agrees. These 10 real estate plays are the best ways to invest in real estate right now. By signing up to be a member of Real Estate Winners, youll get access to our 10 best ideas and new investment ideas every month. Find out how you can get started with Real Estate Winners by .
Maurie Backman has been writing about personal finance for years. A firm believer in educating readers without boring them, she Learn More
Solar Panels: Worth The Investment
Get our 43-Page Guide to Real Estate Investing Today!
Real estate has long been the go-to investment for those looking to build long-term wealth for generations. Let us help you navigate this asset class by signing up for our comprehensive real estate investing guide.
Electric bills can be a strain on your budget, especially during periods of heavy usage. One easy way to lower your electricity costs is to install solar panels on your home. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity so you’re not beholden to a utility company to power your home. But are solar panels a good choice for you?
Don’t Miss: Does Cleaning Solar Panels Help
But Realize Financial Incentives Will Disappear
As you contemplate your exact timeline, be aware that as the popularity and accessibility for solar power increases, the government incentives will decrease. Since more and more people are able to afford solar power, the government is less pressed to encourage people to do it.
With that in mind, the current federal renewable energy tax credit is 30 percent through 2019. After that point, it will be phased out for residential use. That means that if youre considering going solar, this is the year.
If youre not sure how accurate this assumption is, look at it this way.
- Formerly, the Golden State offered rebates up to $15,000 for installing solar power systems. However, since California has dived into the use of solar, the rebate programs have been eliminated because it was no longer as critical for the state to support this.
- Massachusetts used to offer a $9,000 range rebate program. However, the program has since ended and homeowners are now only eligible for the tax credit which is capped at just $1000. Someone who installs a $10,000 system doesnt get much of an incentive for this anymore.
- New York offers rebates for homeowners who install solar power. The rebate gives $1 per watt installed. But as the popularity of the program and number of installs goes up, the rebate will drop 85% to only $0.15 per watt.
Be sure to explore your statewide incentives right now to understand what you could save if you install this year before the federal programs drop.
Do Solar Panels Increase The Value Of Your Home
A 2015 study showed that a typical solar panel system added a $15,000 premium to the selling price of a home. They did this by studying comparative sales of similar houses with and without solar panels.
Separately, Zillow released a study in 2019 which concluded that solar panels, on average, added 4.1% to the value of a home, effectively making installing solar panels a worthwhile investment, even if you plan on selling your home in the future.
You May Like: Is Solar Power Worth The Investment
Ways To Invest In And Start A Solar Farm Business In 2021
It shouldnt come as a surprise that The Kickass Entrepreneur is writing about how to start a solar energy farm. It combines some of Jeffs favorite investments: real assets, infrastructure, renewable energy, and a steady stream of reliable cash flow.
Australia is known for its abundant supply of sunshine. Brian Kelso from BSK Data & Electrical Pty Ltd, a local Sydney electrician, said that he has seen many homes in residential areas go from having power bills in excess of over $1000 per billing cycle to actually earning money from the power of the sun instead.
Real assets can be a rather complex topic. If you dont have time to dive into it you can always employ the help of an essay writer from EssayWritingService or similar websites. But heres a short version: a real asset is a physical asset that an investor or business owns and is value-generating. Some examples of real assets include:
Areal asset is a physical asset that an investor or business owns and is value-generating. Some examples of real assets include:
Investing in a solar energy farm has the following benefits:
- It can earn excellent cash on yield.
- The contracts are typically for a long duration.
- The cash flows the farm generates are usually tied to inflation.
- It has lower volatility because the revenue is predictable.
- It can provide an excellent return
There has been a rapid growth in the solar industry over the last 10 years.
Who’s Not A Good Candidate For Solar Power
- Your house doesn’t get much sun exposure: If you know anything about how solar panels work, it won’t be a surprise that darker areas benefit less from this renewable energy source. In a place where there tends to be a lot of cloud coverage or more limited solar exposure for good chunks of the year, the jump to solar may not be as advantageous.
- Your home is in a shady spot: Similarly, if your roof tends to be shaded for long stretches of the day , then your solar panels may not get the sun exposure they need to generate a solid ROI.
- You’re ineligible for incentives and rebates: The biggest financial solar incentive is the federal solar tax credit. If you aren’t eligible to receive federal tax credits, you may not get as big a benefit out of installing solar panels. Additionally, certain municipalities and utility companies offer incentives on top of the federal credit. If your local government or power company doesn’t have its own incentives, a solar investment may not be as worth it for your home.
- You have low costs for electricity: If your electrical bills are already fairly minimal, then installing a residential solar system will yield more modest and measured savings.
- You don’t have the right kind of roof: Certain types of roofs just aren’t as well-suited for solar power installation. For example, older or historic homes that have particular kinds of tiled roofs and homes that have larger skylights may not be good matches for solar energy.
Also Check: Is It Better To Lease Or Buy Solar Panels
Tips For Investing In Solar Panels
Some companies market solar panels as a money-making investment. But there are significant differences between traditional options and buying and installing a solar panel system.
It you already receive Feed-In Tariff payments, they are guaranteed for between 20 and 25 years . The price per kilowatt hour you’re paid changes annually with the Retail Prices Index and any money you make is tax-free.
If you’ll be getting paid for electricity via a SEG tariff, they have less long-term security. Fixed tariffs are valid for a certain period of time , after which you’ll need to find a new one. Variable tariff rates can change when companies choose.
Boost your savings and earnings from solar PV by putting them into a cash Isa, regular savings account or even a high-interest current account. Use Which? Money Compare to compare savings and Isas to find the best for your money.
It Is Possible To Sell Back Any Excess Energy To The Grid Company
Surplus is generated by solar panels which are then fed back into the grid are called SREC or Solar Renewable Energy Credits. It is also possible to sell any excess energy you generate back to your power company it is not necessary that they buy but if you can sell, you will earn money from installing solar panels on your roof.
Read Also: How Much To Register Sole Proprietorship
Lease Your Land To A Solar Farm
It is the most secure and straightforward way of investing in the solar sector. You are not putting your physical money into the business instead, you are just leasing your land for making a solar farm. If a company is looking to invest in solar farms, you can offer your property for this purpose.
However, before contacting a company, you need to analyze whether your land fulfills the criteria for solar installations. For this purpose, you can take help for an independent site assessment company. This will also allow you to ascertain how much revenue you can generate by leasing your land to a solar power company.
If your land passes the assessment test and has been approved for solar panel installations, the next step is to look for a solar developer. Usually, these solar developers or financing companies provide all types of assistance when making a solar farm.
In fact, you are not making a solar farm but providing the land for solar installations. Hence, there is nothing much for you to lose when leasing your place to a solar company. Instead, this allows you to earn a lucrative amount of income monthly.
The solar company will build each structure with your approval. The operation and maintenance of such a solar farm will be the responsibility of the operating company. Furthermore, solar developers will obtain all the permits and meet the regulations for building a solar farm.
How Much Investment Is Necessary To Build A Solar Farm
The power generation capacity of a large-scale solar farm is at least 1 megawatt . This capacity is equal to that of a power plant, which is capable of offering a constant supply of electricity to almost 200 households.
The cost of building a solar farm largely depends on different factors, including available space and sunlight hours. The cost of a utility-scale solar farm is something around $1/watt. Hence, you can easily calculate that to build a 1 MW solar farm, you have to invest approximately $1 million.
The cost of the residential or community solar farm is relatively higher, which stands at $3 to $4 per watt.
The reason for this difference is the fact that while building a large-scale solar farm, you buy solar panels and other equipment in bulk, which lowers their price to a great extent.
Read Also: How Many Watts Solar Panels To Run A House
Solar Is Reliable And Steady Compared To Other Sources Of Energy
The sun is a strong source of renewable energy that is constant and reliable throughout the day.
As long as you have sunlight shining on your panels, they will generate electricity
If you are getting power from the grid, on the other hand, there is no telling when your power is going to fluctuate or be cut off.
What Affects Your Solar Panels’ Payback Time
The amount you earn from either the SEG, the FIT or the savings you make by using the renewable electricity your system generates can be affected by:
- Electricity price changes These affect how much you save on your electricity bills by using the electricity generated by your system. The higher electricity prices go, the greater your savings.
- Solar panel installation cost A smaller upfront cost could mean that it’s quicker to break even, though if your system is also smaller then it may generate less electricity.
- SEG tariff rates These vary wildly between companies. A fixed tariff guarantees the same rates for the length of the deal, while variable tariffs change based on the price of electricity .
- Inflation This affects feed-in tariff payments, if youre signed up for them. They change in line with RPI each year.
Find out how much solar panels cost for your home.
Also Check: How Much Tax Credit For Solar Panels In California